Manhattan Child Custody Attorney
Of all the issues in a divorce case or family court case, child custody is one of the most tumultuous. It is also one of the most emotional. That is why child custody attorneys, like those at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C., have special training and education to guide families through the child custody process with empathy, compassion, and skill.
At the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C., we know how important child custody is to your case, and our Manhattan child custody lawyers commit the time, effort, and resources to fight for the best interests of you and your children. We will guide you through every step of your child custody matter, as well as offer you personalized solutions to your child custody issues as they arise.
The attorneys at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. are:
- Experienced in all areas of New York child custody matters;
- Prompt and responsive in returning calls and other communications; and
- Driven to make your child custody goals a reality.
Before taking any steps in your child custody matter, contact us in Manhattan. We will gladly schedule a meeting at your convenience with one of our child custody professionals.
A Manhattan Child Custody Attorney Can Help
Child custody attorneys help clients manage the complex issues involved in New York child custody cases. At the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C., our Manhattan child custody attorneys handle a myriad of points on your behalf, including, but not limited to:
- Negotiating with the other parent or their attorney;
- Ensuring timely filing of any child custody documents;
- Representing your interests in any court appearances;
- Providing honest, expert advice about legal possibilities and outcomes;
- Entering initial child custody orders or modification orders depending on your case status; and
- Dealing with an out of the country or out-of-state custody matter.
- By taking your legal issues off your shoulders, the child custody attorneys at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. are also reducing your stress. Not having to focus on your child custody issues allows you to do what is important, and spend more time with your children.
- Make your appointment for a child custody evaluation today. Our attorneys will provide you with a fresh, objective perspective and potential solutions to your child custody problems.
The Best Interests Standard
While there are several child custody laws in New York, each centered on protecting a child’s best interests, the court does not presume a parent will act as a better custodian due to their gender or marital status.
Instead, the court looks to specific factors that affect a child’s best interests, including, but not limited to the following:
- Which parent the child primarily resides with and for how long;
- If the child has special needs and which parent can handle these needs;
- Whether domestic abuse is an issue;
- Whether the court may place siblings together;
- Whether one parent can better handle a child’s intellectual and emotional development;
- Whether one parent will better foster a relationship with the other parent;
- Whether one parent will attempt to alienate the other parent;
- Whether either parent has a substance abuse problem;
- Which parent can best provide the child’s basic needs;
- The home environment of each parent;
- The parents’ work schedules; and
- If there is a strong bond between a child and the parent.
Courts will take a child’s preference into account in addition to the above child custody factors. Courts decide custody cases based on the totality of the circumstances. This means that courts take cases as a whole instead of singling out one aspect to make a custody decision.
Types of Child Custody in New York
There are several custody decisions a court can make in New York, or parents can choose to abide by in a mutually agreed custody settlement.
These are as follows:
- Joint custody;
- Sole custody;
- Legal custody; and
- Physical custody.
To learn more about child custody arrangements, and child support call an experienced Manhattan child custody lawyer like ours at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. Our child custody attorneys will explain each type of custody available to your family in detail and help you decide the best fit for your family’s needs.
It is often overwhelming to attempt settling child custody matters on your own. Call the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. for a consultation before moving forward alone.