Brooklyn Divorce Attorney
If you are seeking a divorce or received a divorce summons in Brooklyn, call the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. for personalized advice, guidance, and tailored divorce solutions. Our firm focuses on meeting your divorce goals while protecting your legal interests and helping to eliminate your anxiety.
The divorce attorneys at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. are:
- Prompt; and
Speak with one of our attorneys today about any of your divorce issues; the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. is a full-service law firm.
We specialize in all family law matters including, but not limited to:
- Child custody;
- Child support;
- Division of marital property, debts, and assets; and
- Spousal support and maintenance.
Call today and schedule your appointment with the professionals at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C.
Why You Need a Brooklyn Divorce Attorney
It is tempting to try and handle your divorce on your own. However, divorces are more complex court processes than you may think. Documents provided by the court and websites cannot offer advice, ensure you correctly fill out and file paperwork, or represent your interests against your spouse’s attorney.
Other reasons to have an attorney during your divorce include:
- Attorneys can value and divide assets equitably;
- Attorneys know the future tax consequences of asset division;
- Attorneys are experts in all areas of spousal maintenance and support;
- Attorneys know how to transfer real property;
- Attorneys can divide retirement accounts accurately;
- Attorneys act as a buffer between yourself and your spouse;
- Hiring an attorney can reduce the time, effort, stress, and cost of the divorce process;
- Attorneys can prepare child support calculations and agreements as well as child visitation and custody documents; and
- Attorneys will include all necessary provisions in your divorce that protect your legal interests, including those you may neglect.
Do not enter the divorce process without a private advocate. At the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C., you are our priority in any divorce proceedings. Contact us and come in for a consultation.
Grounds for Divorce Brooklyn
In New York, there are still grounds for divorce. However, in 2010, New York added an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage as an additional ground for divorce. This is a no-fault ground for divorce in contrast to New York’s other six grounds for divorce.
The other six grounds for divorce in New York are as follows:
- Cruel and inhuman treatment;
- Abandonment for at least one year;
- Imprisonment for three or more years;
- Living separately for more than a year after a legal separation; and
- Living separately for more than a year.
After a legally filed separation agreement and living separately for more than a year, spouses may file a conversion divorce. This is a divorce based on the terms in the legal separation agreement. In its simplest terms, the court converts the legal separation agreement into a valid divorce.
Any final divorce decree will include orders regarding marital property, debts, child custody, child visitation, child support, and spousal support orders.
Reasons to Settle Your Divorce Outside of the Courtroom
Estimates show that more than ninety-five percent of divorces settle before trial. There are many reasons for this trend. The most important is that no one wants a judge making decisions that may affect them for the rest of their lives.
People want a say in determining their future, and judges do not know spouses on a personal level, nor do judges know what will suit a couple, their children, and their daily schedules.
Other reasons to settle your divorce outside the courtroom are:
- It takes less time than court-scheduled hearings and trial;
- Pre-trial discovery processes are lengthy and expensive;
- Settlements are less frustrating; and
- You will likely attain some satisfaction with the result.
Circumstances may change and call for judicial intervention, but you may solve some issues on your own before judicial involvement. To find out the different types of alternative resolution processes, call the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. Our attorneys can describe these processes at length and determine the best, if any, dispute resolution service for your situation.
Contact a Brooklyn Divorce Lawyer
Let the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. guide you through the divorce process with the level of representation you deserve. Our Brooklyn divorce attorneys genuinely care about your family and want you to start your future on a firm foothold.
Contact our office now for a consultation. We will listen compassionately to your issues and pursue your goals of protecting your children, achieving a just financial outcome, or simply getting through the divorce process as seamlessly as possible.