Brooklyn Spousal Support Attorney
Spousal support or alimony is often addressed in divorce, and legal separation cases, whether contested or uncontested. Regardless of which side of the spousal support issue you are on, it would be best to have an attorney who is dedicated and persistent in meeting your spousal support goals and expectations. You need a Brooklyn spousal support attorney from the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C.
Attorneys play a crucial role in spousal support decisions. The spousal support attorneys at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. will stand beside you throughout the spousal support process and use their decades of experience to represent you in settlement negotiations or the courtroom.
Our attorneys are:
- Compassionate and empathetic;
- Resourceful and knowledgeable; and
- Capable and competent.
Call the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. to schedule an appointment to ask your spousal support questions and receive an honest evaluation of your alimony case.
A Brooklyn Spousal Support Lawyer Can Help You
Spouses may receive temporary support during a divorce case or alimony at the close of a case, but that does not mean they will receive such support. Alimony is often a contentiously debated topic between couples. An experienced spousal support, maintenance, and alimony attorney, like ours at the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C., can act as a buffer between yourself and your spouse to calm and keep matters more civil.
Our attorneys can also do the following:
- Help you understand New York’s alimony laws and processes;
- Prevent you from manipulation by the other side;
- Protect your legal rights if you qualify to receive or disqualify from paying alimony;
- Potentially modify support from a previous alimony case;
- Address noncompliance or enforcement of an earlier order;
- Settle your alimony issues in alternative dispute resolution; or
- Take unresolved matters before the judge for a ruling.
Regardless of your stage in the alimony process, call the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. with your questions and representation needs. Our Brooklyn spousal support attorneys look forward to speaking with you in a confidential setting and reviewing your spousal support documents.
What Are Spousal Support, Maintenance, and Alimony in New York?
Spousal support, maintenance, or alimony, is money awarded to one spouse after a divorce case. Temporary, or pendente lite, maintenance is a provisional support award that terminates at the end of a divorce proceeding. Gender does not matter in a support award.
The family court judge will not base his or her decision regarding spousal support on one fact but rather the totality of the circumstances at the time of the support award. Attorneys are vital in alimony cases because they exhibit evidence and present a complete case for or against spousal support to the judge on their client’s behalf.
Judges follow a fixed statutory formula when determining a spousal maintenance or alimony award along with the following types of factors:
- The income and property of each spouse;
- The length of the marriage;
- The marital standard of living;
- The ability of the party seeking maintenance to become self-supporting and the time and training that will require;
- Whether a spouse’s earning capacity is inhibited by ongoing care of children or the elderly in the family;
- Any tax consequences to either party;
- The equitable division of marital property;
- The contributions and services of the party seeking maintenance as a spouse, parent, wage earner, homemaker, and to the career or potential career of the other party;
- The wasteful dissipation of marital property by either spouse;
- Any transfer or encumbrance made in contemplation of a divorce without fair consideration;
- The loss, availability, and cost of health insurance; and
- Any other factors the judge finds expressly just and proper.
The court has more leverage to deviate in a final post-divorce alimony award for any reason he or she finds unjust so long as they state that reason in the written order.
Contact a Brooklyn Spousal Support Lawyer
If you need to know more about spousal support in your divorce or a possible modification of support, do not hesitate to contact the Law Office of Vivien I. Stark, P.C. Our Brooklyn spousal support lawyers want to save you the time, energy, money, and frustration associated with litigating your spousal support claim.
Please schedule your appointment with one of our experienced, exceptional spousal support attorneys today.